Essential: People who wear glasses should not throw punches.
Nonessential: Our waiter, who was the son of the restaurant owner, spilled a glass of punch right on my head.
Although the word who can be used either with or without commas, the word which requires commas and the word that does not. After making the comma decision, make sure the correct word is used.
Challenge: Commas with who, that, and which
The hapless writer of these sentences (based on a real text) has evidently been told always to use a comma before who. See if you can help him out.
- Our fill-in-the-blank system will allow people, who do not have any knowledge in web development to create a website in just two hours.
- Furthermore, there are many developers, who create tools, which rapidly improve the performance of our system.
- When you look at other systems, you will find that they are much more difficult for people, who do not have any idea of web development.
- Even after the recent update to the latest version, there are still many users, who stick to the old one.
- Working with our system is a lot easier, so there are many beginners, who choose it instead of other brands.
As always, feel free to post your answers below.