In the past, if you created an eLearning quiz and needed to track the results, your only option was to use a Learning Management System (LMS).
Adobe Captivate 5 offers an alternate reporting option to using an LMS: you can create a free account on Acrobat.com, and set the reporting preferences in a Captivate project so that the quiz results are uploaded to Acrobat.com. After that, you can use the Adobe Captivate Quiz Results Analyzer, a free AIR-based desktop application, to track the learner results.
I'm not saying that Acrobat.com replaces an LMS, or that using an LMS is a bad idea. In truth, if your learning initiative is large and you have to train thousands of learners, an LMS offers you the best chance at success. A typical LMS can support hundreds to thousands of students and provides myriad high-end tracking and reporting features. Of course, you can expect to pay thousands of dollars for those features.
Let's take a look at what Acrobat.com and the Quiz Results Analyzer offer--for free.
Configure Acrobat.com as an LMS and Upload Quiz Data
- Open or create a project that includes a quiz.
- Choose Quiz > Quiz Preferences.
- With the Quiz Reporting category selected, select Enable reporting for this project.
- From the Learning Management System (LMS) area, select Acrobat.com.
- Click the Configure button.
The Configure Acrobat.com Settings dialog box opens.
- Type your Adobe ID and Password into the appropriate fields (you will need an Acrobat.com account to proceed).
- Fill in the Company/Institute, Department, and Course fields.
- Click the Save button.
- Click the OK button.
- Go to the Quiz Results slide in your project and you'll notice that a Post Result button has automatically been added.
- Publish the project and view the results.
- Take the quiz and when you get to the results slide, click the Post Results button to post the results to Acrobat.com.
Analyze the Quiz Results
Start the Adobe Captivate Quiz Results Analyzer.
As mentioned earlier, the Quiz Results Analyzer is a free AIR-based desktop application you use to track learner quiz results. The program should have been installed on your computer at the same time that Adobe Captivate was installed.
Click the Sign in button and Sign in using your Acrobat.com credentials.
Select the Organization, Department and Course you set up in step 7 above.
And Bam! You'll see the quiz results. How cool is that? Want something cooler? Click the Chart button in the upper right of the Quiz Results Analyzer and create a nifty bar chart of the quiz results. Bam, bam and bam!