I like mixing bold headings in my table of contents with regular weight text, but I don't like the bold leaders and page numbers that go with it:
I just think it looks awkward. My preference is to leave all of the generated paragraph formats in regular weight, and then use a character style to bold just the heading. Here's how:
- In your table of contents (TOC), use the Paragraph Designer to set up the initial formatting for your text. Leave everything as regular weight.
- Create a character format to set the weight to bold. I called mine Bold.
- Choose View > Reference pages and turn to the TOC Reference Page.
- On the TOC Reference Page, select the <$paratext> building block for the paragraph formats you would like to bold, and apply the Bold format from the Character Catalog.
- Save your work and return to the Body pages.
- Update the TOC to see the change applied.