FrameMaker's Page Count variable makes it easy to track (and reference) the page count of a single chapter. The Page Count variable, which ships with FrameMaker, makes it possible to set up page numbers that look like this: 1 of 10, 2 of 10, 3 of 10, etc. Here's how:
- Choose View > Master Pages.
- Click within the header or footer frame.
- Choose Special > Variable to open the Variables pod.
- Add the Current Page # variable (double click to insert, or click once on the name, and click the Insert button on the Variables pod toolbar).
- Press the [spacebar], type the word of and press [spacebar] again.
- Finish by inserting the Page Count variable and return to the body pages.
The Page Count variable works by inserting a reference to the last body page of the chapter. As you add and remove pages via editing, the variable updates.
Easy enough. But what about trying to keep track of the last page of a multi-chapter book? Tune in next week to learn more about that.