What was wrong with my favorite author! I checked the copyright date, and I found that this was one of his early efforts--and he has certainly improved his writing since then!
Here is what I found when I started looking at the grammar of the sentence that really made me pause: lack of parallel structure. There were other errors of fiction writing as well, but the parallelism problem is one that easily crops up in writing training and technical documents. Let's take a look.
- He looked calm
- He looked professional
- *He looked with a smug attitude common to the breed
This problem could have been fixed by just separating the two ways he looked from the attitude he had, and by using the correct verb with the word attitude: had. Here are my three tries at reworking the sentence. Mystery author: you're welcome.
- The lessons will be short, easy, with answers provided at the end.
- The software provides a login, credential checking, and has encryption built in.
- Our program provides a website, quizzes, and enables report writing in Excel.
- One course contains scenarios, interactions, with full remediation.